Simon is the current lead Coach and Director for COREhealth Tai Chi and the Marshians Tai Chi clubs. Following Patrick's death in 2019 he was examined and confirmed as an Advanced Coach (Level 3) of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain in September 2020.
Simon began to study Tai Chi in June 2002 with Patrick Harries, following an Achilles Heel injury sustained playing Badminton in August 2001.
Starting with the Yang Style (Beijing) 24 Hand form, Patrick gradually introduced SImon to all the beginners hand routines, Fan and 16 Sword.
Patrick encouraged Simon to organise and lead Tai Chi sessions from 2011 and increasingly relied on Simon to Lead and Coach the sessions, particularly during Patrick's holidays or periods of illness.
In June 2012, Patrick approved Simon as a Tai Chi instructor in these forms; Simon was subsequently approved as an Intermediate Instructor of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain. In March 2014, Simon established the Marshians Tai Chi Club coaching students in Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan 8, 16 and 24 hand forms.
Between 2012 and 2016, Patrick increased Simon's range to include the Standard Sword (32 Tai Chi Jian) and long form 88 hand routines. Following Patrick's first Stroke in 2016, Simon took over the running and Management of COREhealth until Patrick's death in November 2019.
Simon has acheived:
- Advanced Instructor of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain in September 2020
- Patricks approval as a Tai Chi Intermediate Instructor in June 2012
- Intermediate Instructor of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain in June 2012
- Level 2 United Kingdom Coaching Certificate (UKCC Level 2) in 2011 and a UKCC Level 2 in 2001.
- Level 1 United Kingdom Coaching Certificate (UKCC Level 1) in 2009