COREhealth was founded in 1994 by Patrick Harries (1945-2019) who was the Principal Coach from 1994 until 2016. At its peak, Patrick ran a gruelling weekly schedule of 15 Chi Kung sessions teaching 70 students in West and South Dorset. He also ran 2 Tai Chi sessions for 15 students in Yeovil and Sherborne where he taught us 6 hand and 2 sword routines and started the Fan routine.
Patrick was the student of Bao Naijian from 1986 until Bao’s death in 1998 and was accredited by Bao Naijian to teach Tai Chi.
As well as Bao’s initial accreditation, which he values above all others, Patrick Harries acquired a number of other qualifications:
- a 'Recognised GP Activity Referral Leader', which means that doctors and other health professionals may refer patients to him for activity advice & practice.
- a Level 2 Coach, through the British Council for Chinese Martial Arts,
- an Advanced Coach recognised by the Tai Chi Union for Great Britain (of which he was an Honorary Vice-President)
- an Accredited Coach with the English Dao Yin Yang Sheng Gong Association
- an Instructor Member of the Long Fei Taijiquan Association (GB).
- most recently a 4th Duan in Dao Yin Yang Sheng Gong, achieved during a Seminar & Competition held at the Beijing Sports University in April 2010.
Patrick acquired Simon Champion as a pupil in June of 2001; in 2009 Simon achieved a United Kingdom level 1 Coaching Certificate (UKCC Level 1) followed by a UKCC Level 2 in 2011. With his gruelling schedule, Patrick started to trust Simon to lead sessions from 2011 also running sessions in Patrick's absence.
Following Patrick’s first Stroke in February 2016, running and coaching of COREhealth Tai Chi sessions have been maintained by Simon Champion.